Sri Venkataramana Swamy College library was started along with the establishment of the college in the year 1968. Since then, it has been playing a pivotal role in enabling the students of the institution to excel in their academic pursuits. The library has made steady progress over the years by enriching its collection of reading materials, automating the library functions and expanding facilities for its users.
The library which is centrally located in the college campus has undergone a series of renovations, over the years to make it more user friendly. The seating capacity for the reference purposes of students has been increased to 125(students at a time).
The library has computerized all aspects of library services and management like, acquisition, circulation, cataloguing and serials management along with barcode technology. Through computerized Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC) the readers can search the entire holdings of the library. It allows searches for materials through several access points like author, title, subject, etc.
Collection of the Library includes printed as well as non-print materials, dealing with diverse topics of interest specially suited to students. Reference tools, consisting of encyclopedias, dictionaries, yearbooks, quiz books and books on various disciplines are also available.
- Total Number of Books – 47,676
- Total Number of Titles – 20,854
- Magazines / Journals – 57
- Back Volumes – 2450
- News Papers – 12
- Number of Books added during the year 2016-17 – 222
- Cost of Books added During the Year 2016-2017 – Rs 68,408
- Total Collection of CD’s/DVD’s/Cassettes – 418
The library has subscribed for the e-resources under N-LIST Programme of the UGC INFONET Digital Consortium and the users of the library can access: 60000+ e-journals and 97,000 + e-books.
Services offered by Library
- Circulation of Books: (Students are issued 3-4 borrower’s Cards)
- User orientation (information literacy programme):-
- Reference Services:
- Book Bank facility:
- New Arrivals:
- Free Internet Services:
- Digital Library
- Newspaper clipping service:
- Career information services:
- Issue of books to the alumni as well as the public
Best practices followed in the Library
- Book exhibition
- Best user award
- Library Club consisting of the students & the teachers
- Conducting Book Review and Essay competitions
- User feedback practice through questionnaire
- Books on Deposit for Examination purposes
- Extension of library services to the public
- Organizing Guest lectures
- Compact Storage of less used books
- Library Timings – 8.30 AM To 5.00 PM
- Issuing of Books – 9.00 AM To 5.00 PM
- Lunch Time – No Lunch Break
- Students can borrow 3-4 library books on 4 library borrow cards for a week or 2 weeks.
- Renewal of the books will depend on availability and requirement of the same by others.
- Loss of I-Card/Borrower cards should be reported to the librarian immediately.
- Issue of duplicate I-card as well as borrow cards will be made against due charges.
- Students can avail the facility of reference books / journals / periodicals within the library premises only against reference-cards.
- A fine Rs.2/- day will be charged on late return of books issued on library borrow cards.
Details of Seminars/Conferences organized by the Department
- Organised a State Level Seminar on “Digital Libraries: Design & Development” at SriVenkataramanaSwamyCollegeincollaboration with the Dakshina Kannada &Kodagu Library Association on March 8th 2013.
- Organised a Two-Day UGC Sponsored National Conference on “Academic Libraries: Challenges in the Electronic Era” on September 27-28, 2013 in association with the Dakshina Kannada &Kodagu Library Association, Udupi, Karnataka.
- Organised a Two-Day UGC Sponsored National Workshop on “Developing Digital Library Using DSpace” on August 6-7, 2015 in association with the Dakshina Kannada &Kodagu Library Association, Udupi, Karnataka.
- Organised aOne-Day UGC Sponsored National Level Seminar on ‘Human Rights: Issues & Concerns’ on January 23, 2017, held at Sri Venkataramana Swamy College, Bantwal, D K.
- Organised a One-Day UGC Sponsored National Level Workshop on ‘Research Methodology’ held on February11, 2017, held at Sri Venkataramana Swamy College, Bantwal, D K.
Department other Details
- No of PHD’s – 01
- Minor Project – 01
- No of student projects – 04
- No of papers presented – 07
- No of Publications (International Journals) – 07
- No of Publications (National Journals) – 14
- No of Publications in Proceedings – 20
- Faculty as resource Person – 05
At present guiding 5 students for their Ph D studies at various Universities. Has assisted in setting up and upgrading of School and College libraries in & around Rural Bantwal taluk.